Non-Electrical Potable Water Pump
Patented, complete rural village water supply and treatment unit that is capable of delivering potable water to a rural village on a continuous basis. Primary power for the SolarPedalflo™ are the solar panels, which operate the unit continuously under varying light intensities.
The SolarPedalflo™ is the patented product of MWI and is an innovative rural water supply system that is capable of delivering a continuous and reliable source of potable water in remote communities without electricity. Using a minimum of 350 watts of solar power, the SolarPedalflo™ is capable of producing 12,000 liters daily of filtered (down to 1 micron), chlorinated and pressurized water, free of waterborne and airborne diseases and protected in an overhead tank. Such safe water has been shown to result in healthier babies as well as significantly reduced infant mortality rates, and it has also been demonstrated that when used in combination with simple hygienic practices, the SolarPedalflo™ can dramatically reduce the incidence of diarrhea and cholera.
- Efficiency: The SolarPedalflo can pump over 12,000 liters of water per day using the sun as its primary power source – virtually eliminating the need for a connection to electricity, but still gives the options for manual power.
- Effortless Collection of Water: Instead of manually pumping a hand pump to fill a container, all the SolarPedalflo requires is that you open the tap.
- Storage Tank:The SolarPedalflo comes with an 85 gallon, pressurized, internal storage tank that allows water to be stored for use on overcast days or at night.
- Improves Quality of Life: By providing adequate quantities of water for drinking, cooking and hygiene, The SolarPedalflo will improve people’s quality of life wherever it is installed.
- Best Economic Choice: The SolarPedalflo with its one borehole will cost less and outpump 4 handpumps installations. You can also invest in an overhead tank and include several distribution points to make our product more effective and available.
- Rugged, Durable and Reliable: The SolarPedalflo is designed and manufactured to provide years of reliable service with minimal down time. Spare parts are readily available from MWI in any part of the world.
The SolarPedalflo™ can even operate in low light conditions in the early morning and early evening hours due to a unique linear current booster that provides the necessary current to run the one-half-horsepower motor that drives the pump. As a secondary power source at nighttime and on cloudy days, the SolarPedalflo™ uses the body’s most powerful muscles, the legs, to rotate pedals which are connected to an MWI Borehole Reciprocating Piston Pump. The pedaling is always smooth and uniform due to a specially designed flywheel that acts as an energy storage device, thereby allowing even young children to pedal with ease. The pump’s design also utilizes a flywheel for uniform power conversion. The SolarPedalflo™ has been shown to out produce the flow of four combined handpumps to provide safe drinking water to an entire rural community. At night, or on cloudy days, the SolarPedalflo™ can be operated simply by pedaling.
Compared to most hand pumps that become difficult to use at water depths of more than 45M, the SolarPedalflo™ can effectively operate at water depths down to 55M. The MWI SolarPedalflo™ is now in operation in twelve African countries and has freed women and children from the arduous daily chore of trekking long distances to fetch contaminated water, thereby allowing women to become more productive and permitting children time to go to school.